Saturday, September 13, 2008

The importance of resisting prayer

Every time I am alone with God early in the morning I am encouraged, strengthened, and guided. Short as it may be sometimes I always finish saying to myself "I have got to do this every day." And yet no matter how much I try to convince myself when I finish, it is always a challenge to continue the next day. The will to rely on myself never does lose it's strength. Only by God's power and His grace can I overcome this foolish desire. It surprises me that I have prayed so much these last few weeks and have seen obvious answers to my prayers, only to find myself resist pray the next morning. It really does seem illogical. How can a simple act of obedience that brings rewards, become something that I would resist. I would assume the obvious, if this is something that helps me I would think that I would be "tempted" to do it all the time. Unfortunately this battle will never end, reading the Word and praying will always be a challenge. Perhaps this is God's intention. Perhaps this is part of what makes it what it is. Spending time alone with God is not an easy thing, it is not something that is convenient or something we crave (like a large butterfinger blizzard). Resisting our will to rely on ourself is what makes it genuine. Overcoming the temptation to get out of bed early in the morning is

Resisting our will to rely on ourself is what makes it genuine. Overcoming the temptation to get out of bed early in the morning is evidence that He is our Lord. If spending time alone with God was convenient and a never ending craving, I would predict that my prayers would become selfish. Choosing to say no to myself and yes to the Lord is a basic essential to making time alone with God so special. When I get out my bed I am saying to the Lord "You are more important than me." This is what God is looking for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm and your wife...that lazy butt still in bed? better put her on your prayer list!!

i am proud of the man of God that you desire to be and are becoming every day.

Bryan Buchleiter said...

Great words and thoughts toward an issue I know we all face. Now if you could explain candy tastes good and is bad for us yet brocolli tastes bad and is good for us - you will have totally fullfilled by quest for knowledge.!