Monday, August 4, 2008

Missions Camp

This is our first year of Missions Camp for our 4th-8th grade kids. With 55 total and lots of leaders, including MK's, the possibilities are endless. This morning as I was praying about sharing my message with the kids I started to get those chills. I began to realize that I may be talking to some kids here who are going to be future leaders of missions. People who will be well known for years and years. Perhaps others like one of my professors who never becomes famous but a few knew that they are the ones who changed the future of an entire country. Perhaps someone who merely raises children with a burden for the lost and are used to save thousands of lives. The list is endless of what God can do through these kids.

I share today how a friend of mine at their age committed his life to missions and believed God was going to send him to Mongolia. After finishing college he became a missionary in Mongolia. Think of how the person would feel who had an impact on him when he made this commitment.

The story is real. Every one of these kids could potentially look back at this time and say "It all began at Missions Camp".

What makes it even more special is when I am speaking to these kids about becoming a missionary and how God can do amazing things in their life, I see my own son sitting their listening to me. I am no longer just talking to other parents children, I am talking to my very own child. A child who is very close to becoming a young man. A child who could making a life changing decision to give his entire life to serving Christ.

The questions I asked myself today were, "Do you believe that God can do amazing things in your child's life? Do you believe that God could use him to change an entire country or lead thousands to Christ? The next question is, "If you do believe this, what are you doing about it?"

This is a big question that makes it clear to me that I am not doing enough about it. If I truly believe God can awesome things through him, I had better start parenting and discipling him like I already know who is. I think this camp is going to cause me to make a life changing decision that will have a rippling affects on both of my children.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! what an amazing realization. I know that you have already changed the hearts of many children who will some day do huge things for God.. You might not be famous but, you are a celebrity in my eyes.