Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Solomon the Servant

I am moved by how Jonathon loves David. In 1 Samuel 20:4 Jonathon tells David "Whatever you want me to do, I'll do for you." David is like Christ to Jonathon. David, who is taking Jonathon's kingship and an enemy to his father is Jonathon's friend and master. Jonathan's commitment to David causes me to ask that question of myself, am I willing to do anything for Christ.

Jonathon thinks nothing of himself and only about David. In 1 Samuel 20:34 Jonathon leaves dinner in anger after his father attempted to kill him with a spear. Jonathon shows his service to David (who is like Christ to him) when it says "he was grieved at his father's shameful treatment of David." I don't think I would be grieving about my father mistreating David, I would be grieving over my father trying to kill me. However, Jonathon only cares about David, what others think of him (even his father) does no matter at all to him. This is a goal of mine but is still a challenge.

Jonathon is an example to me of what it means to be a true servant of Christ. Christ must become all that matters to me. Nothing else, no one else, not even myself, only Christ.

0 comments: