Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Privilege of Preschool

Thankfully on Wednesday night the Lord has modified the schedule allowing me to teach the four year olds in Awana (Cubbies). It is so precious to see there faces when they are glued to a lesson. I started the first night using little Woolly (www.amazehealingwings.com/puppets.htm) to teach the kids about sin. The eyes lit up when I started to bring little Woolly out of the bag. Of course, him being shy, he just peeked out of the bag and after a few more peeks he finally came out and began to teach the childen with me. Even at four years old the little kids knew what I meant when I talked about sin (doing wrong things). Those children are ready to understand the freedom that comes from forgiveness. Many hesitate to share this concept for fear of discouraging them. This is justifiable as a person has to be sure that a child understands both sin and forgiveness, the two must come together. However, even at this young of an age those children already know what it is like to feel guilty. They have been in trouble and they have all seen Mom or Dad lose their patience and get angry. Guilt is something they are now trying to figure out. Sharing this lesson of sin and forgiveness at their level is like a missionary sharing the gospel to an unreached tribe in the jungle. Just by the looks on their faces as I talked with Woolly I knew that this message was opening their eyes and hearts to the privilege we have when we receive Christ's forgiveness.

This will be one of the most exciting days of the week for me.

0 comments: